Tuesday 24 January 2012

Old Moor

Last week I set off to visit a rather frosty Old Moor. Just a quick flit round the hides this time, as I had other plans for the rest of the day.

It was my first visit to the new Garden Bird hide, and happily the garden was full of activity. Garden birds are my favourite; I still get a jolt of excitement when I see a blue tit. As my I.D. skills are still not the best, it's the easier birds to identify that keep me coming back for more :o).

Bullfinch and Greenfinch

Chaffinch
The Tree Sparrow Farm was also alive with little birds. Among the birds I can remember were reed bunting, robin, great tit, blue tit, tree sparrow, chaffinch, pheasant and woodpigeon.

Robin at the Tree Sparrow Farm
A visit to the Field Pool East hide gave a brief glimpse of the kingfisher, who unfortunately didn't hang around for a photo. Other birds around the reserve included plenty of cormorant, a grey heron and the usual visitors.

A frosty morning
Passing the Garden Bird hide on the way back to the visitor centre, I spotted this fellow. He was quite happy to phose for a photo or two.

Pheasant
An enjoyable visit, and I will be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment