Tuesday 22 October 2013

Autumn in Listerdale Woods


Autumn has definitely arrived here in Yorkshire: plenty of wind, rain and, well, mud. The heat of summer is over and (touch wood) Sybil's leg seems to be fine now, so I'm hoping for plenty of long walks this season. Here's one to whet your appetite.

Autumn colours
Our normal daily walk takes us from the Brecks Lane entrance of Listerdale Woods, past a footpath leading up to Dalton Magna, up a hill and a right turn towards Wickersley and back again. It takes us almost two hours, depending on how many squirrels Sybil finds to bark at.

Barking up the wrong tree

I busied myself taking photos of the different leaf colours and fungi while Sybil enjoyed herself running back and forth. She is so easy to tire out; I always go home with a happy, tired dog.


  

A lot of the fungi had been nibbled, possibly by snails and slugs. The only mushroom I could identify was a Fly Agaric, and I wasn't sure if any of the others were poisonous so I was careful neither Sybil nor I touched them.

Can you see it?


There were quite a lot of Fly Agaric in the woods, which surprised me as I didn't know they were that common. I've always been interested in fungi and it was nice to see so many different types, even if I couldn't identify any of them.


I quite liked the fungi on this tree I had to duck under; again I don't know what variety it is but it looks nice:




A closer look

A few more leafy pictures: apologies for the quality, but my photography technique is shocking. I just point and shoot.

A rowan, or mountain ash I believe


Golden leaves in a still mostly green woodland

 

No comments:

Post a Comment