Sunday 24 June 2012

Ravenfield Park via Silverwood

I wanted to do a decent walk that was near home, so Sybil and I set off up to Silverwood, which we usually visit at least once a week. Today however, I was going to extend our walk to Ravenfield Park. We headed off down the Rusty Bump, along the bottom fields and across Far Dalton Lane until we reached Silverwood. At the top a lovely breeze was blowing so I stopped to have a rest and cool down before we headed up to the lake.

Silverwood Lake
At my last few visits I have seen little wildlife on the lake; however today I was delighted to see a swan family complete with three cygnets and a mallard family with too many ducklings to count. I made sure Sybil was lying firmly at my feet, as the first time we came here she headed into the middle of the lake and promptly got stuck in the mud, and it was up to me to wade in to rescue her.

Swan family
We then walked up to Holling's Lane and crossed it to join the old railway track that runs past Thrybergh up to Ravenfield.

Walking the old tracks
Leaving the tracks just before the village we joined another public footpath past St James' Church and through a field of wheat. Although the wheat was just below waist height, it was much taller than Sybil and she wasn't happy at only being able to see the path in front of her. Every so often she would stand up on her back legs, front paws dangling, and bounce a few times to try and see over. I swear I have never met a stranger dog.

"I can't see!"
We eventually reached Ravenfield Park and turned left to walk through the woodland. Being a Sunday the fishponds were busy with fishermen and so coming back Sybil had to go on her lead, which she hates. I didn't want her knocking any unsuspecting fishermen into a pond.

View through the trees
Incidentally on the way back she did knock a man flying at Silverwood, but only because she wanted to play with his spaniel. She doesn't realise how fast she actually runs; then when I call her she can't slam on the brakes quick enough before she either falls over or runs into someone (or something).

A really pleasant walk, the weather was maybe a little too warm but I now have a nicely tanned face. Mileage covered today: 9.46 miles

2 comments:

  1. I've just been on a group walk today to Ravenfield Park; it's a hidden gem...Rotherham's secret valley. [There are no public footpaths shown on Ordnance Survey maps]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been on a group walk today to Ravenfield Park; it's a hidden gem...Rotherham's secret valley. [There are no public footpaths shown on Ordnance Survey maps]

    ReplyDelete