Saturday 2 June 2012

Day Three - Boat of Garten and Loch Garten RSPB

On Wednesday the steam train was running up to Boat of Garten, about six miles from Aviemore. I wanted to visit Loch Garten to hopefully see an osprey, and I'd read that the steam train to Boat of Garten was the best way to do this, with a two and a half mile walk up to the reserve from there. We boarded the train at half past ten. Originally I had planned to get the train one way and walk back to Aviemore via the Speyside Way, however with the rain and also my feet still hurting from yesterday's walk (yes I'm a lightweight!) I decided to get the train both ways.

The steam engine
We left the train at Boat of Garten which seemed a lovely quiet little village. The residents were also very affluent, judging by the size of most of the houses. We then walked through Abernethy Forest, following the blue trail to the Osprey Centre. We arrived at the loch just before midday, and stopped to take it all in before going to the visitor centre.

Welcome
Unfortunately dogs aren't allowed into the centre, so I tied Sybil up and hurried through to the building before she could slip her collar and eat a squirrel. That wouldn't look good on an RSPB reserve. The centre was further away than I thought but I finally got there and peered through each of the binoculars before spotting a huge osprey leap out of a tree and fly past. The CCTV footage from the nest was being shown live on several screens in the centre; the female osprey was keeping her chicks warm which was lovely to see.

I didn't want to risk staying any longer so I hurried back to Sybil, pleased to have at least got a glimpse of an osprey. They really are much bigger than I thought. We had a few hours before our train left back to Aviemore, so we took a steady walk around the loch and back through the forest.

Loch Garten

Loch Garten

No comments:

Post a Comment