Tuesday 12 March 2013

RSPB Wombwell Ings, Gypsy Marsh, Old Moor and a booming bittern


Today was meant to be spent as a simple visit to RSPB Old Moor; however a "Royal Visitor" at the reserve meant that Old Moor was closed until 1pm. A helpful lady at the entrance handed me a couple of sheets to do an alternative walk of 3.5 miles which would take me nicely up to about the time the reserve opened again.

Wath Ings
The walk headed up the Trans Pennine Trail (TPT) and around the boundaries of the Old Moor reserve. A couple of viewpoints gave nice views of Wath Ings and the surrounding wetlands, which aside from several noisy flocks of black headed gulls seemed to be rather quiet today.

I turned left onto the old railway line past Bolton Ings nature reserve and said hello to a friendly Labrador and an energetic spaniel. Walking alongside the River Dearne I turned into Wombwell Ings and watched a grey heron flying low over some fields. A flock of lapwing were in the next field.

River Dearne
The next stop on the tour was Gypsy Marsh nature reserve which was nestled at the end of Broomhill village. Nothing much to see here at the moment but the information tells me summer is the time to visit, when the reserve is home to four different orchid species and Dingy Skipper butterflies.

The path then rejoined the TPT back towards Old Moor, which was now reopened. The visitor centre assistants told me to head towards the reedbeds, as a bittern had been booming lately. I listened out for it, and it was to be heard but unfortunately not seen. Not tempted to wait around any longer in the bitter cold I visited the Garden Bird Hide, which was a flurry of activity. I walked towards Wath bus station via Manvers Lake, where I was hissed at and hurried along by a goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment