Saturday 2 March 2013

Rotherham Roundwalk Part I


The Rotherham Roundwalk is a 25 mile route that goes through the best of Rotherham's countryside. I decided to split the walk into two sections, as I haven't quite built up to that mileage yet.


The walk starts from All Saints Square in the town centre, and leaves via a number of streets until entering a wooded clough up to Fenton Road. Up past the Ring O' Bells and onto a footpath from Simmonite Road, and we turned into a small woodland where I heard a woodpecker drumming. We passed through Wingfield and entered another wood where things got a bit confusing. The map directed us across a field where there wasn't the faintest hint of a footpath; the field had been seeded recently and the mud was very wet and sticky. I decided to take us towards the distant but visible Keppel's Column, only I couldn't decide whether to take us back on ourselves and through the woods parallel to Town Lane or to carry on down and head towards Wentworth Woodhouse and then turn left. This resulted in us walking back and forth a few times, much to the amusement of several dog walkers in the woods, who gave us several quizzical glances.

Of course taking us away from the footpath meant we had to find it again, but I've walked through Scholes' Coppice several times recently so knew that we would rejoin the footpath if we carried on towards Greasbrough Dams. Walking alongside the stream I was dismayed to see a small rabbit heading towards me, followed by two lurchers and a spaniel. Luckily the little rabbit spotted me and dashed left into the undergrowth, where the dogs then lost it. Walking on, we turned towards the fields where I knew the footpath led upwards then left towards the Dams. Not as easy to tell when the fields are bare, though. Last time I walked this way the mud was terrible and stuck to your boots, weighing them down until you got to sturdy ground to knock it off. This time however the recent lack of rain and today's glaring sun had baked the earth quite firm.

Towards the Dams
We headed past Wentworth Woodhouse and onwards towards Cortworth House. Sybil was very funny walking past the grass verges, where the long grass had folded over to conceal small mammals. She would stare into the grass with a bemused expression on her face, then pounce like a fox to stick her nose in the grass where the movement or noise had come from and promptly take it back out again. No animals were harmed however, as they were far too quick for her.

On a track near Hoober Stand I let Sybil back off-lead and she promptly collapsed, leading to a much-needed refreshment break. Unfortunately I had discovered that one of my water bottles was leaking as the pet rats had nibbled at a corner, meaning we had to conserve water. Sybil was usually fine, finding water in streams or puddles but I made sure she had enough to drink, meaning I was parched by the time we got home!

A lovely cobbled path lead most of the way down towards Rawmarsh and we left via Aldwarke Road, which would take us most of the way home. A quick pitstop at Asda sated both our thirsts and we arrived back home none the worse for wear (mostly!). Part II of this walk to follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment