Friday 5 July 2013

How does your garden grow?


A scorching day here in South Yorkshire, so I've been out in the garden checking on my plants and taking some photos for us all to enjoy. I'm still very much a beginner gardener, so I always consider it a nice bonus if any of my vegetables reach the dinner table. For me, the pleasure is in the growing and I don't mind leaving a bit for the wildlife.

First off we have some peas. I'm usually quite successful with these as they are easy to grow; just give them plenty of water and something to climb up and they will be happy.

Peas
I'm not sure of the variety; I did plant some Kelvedon Wonder but unfortunately the first seeds I sowed rotted due to the late spring. I tried again in pots in the greenhouse, then bought some more from Wilko's (a different variety I think) and they both grew well. Here they are climbing up the netting:

Peas
I have also planted some broccoli and cabbage. This is the first time I've grown these from seed so how they will turn out is anyone's guess, although they seem to be growing fine so far. Here is the broccoli; I think the variety is Calabrese Marathon although the snails have eaten the note I made!

Broccoli
I also have carrots (Amsterdam Forcing and Resistafly), onions (Stuttgarter), potatoes (Maris Piper) and of course plenty of wildlife-friendly plants too. Here is the borage I grew from seed:

Borage
Good for bees
It's very pretty, and the bees love it. I also have a couple of poppies:

Poppy
Another set of seeds I grew were salad leaves. I used as many as I wanted, then let the rest go to seed. The flowers are quite attractive and constantly full of insects, however it's a good job I'm not growing on an allotment or I may well have been told to leave!

Bolted salad
And here's a photo of my dog, just because she's beautiful:

Enjoying the sun
Like my Sybil, enjoy the sun while it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment