Saturday 23 April 2011

Peak District Again

Hi there. Trying to make my Peak District visits a regular Sunday thing, well at least trying to visit every second Sunday anyway. I'd love to go every week, but budgets (and my legs!) restrict me lol.
Anyway, here are a few photos from last Sunday's visit. Again I got off the train at Edale. This time I wanted to go a bit further, so I sought out the famous Jacob's Ladder.

The "Green Tunnel" at the start of the Pennine Way
Which way?

Walking the Pennine Way, well a part of it anyway
Went through the stiled fields until I reached Lee Farm. I thought this part of the walk was a bit confusing; when I got to the farm there was a guy unloading sheep from a trailer and I thought I'd better ask if I could go through the gate. Didn't want to appear rude, after all! But yes, apparently I haven't gotten lost yet.

Sign for Lee Farm
I had a little nosy in the information barn. Bit cobwebby, but does have some nice snippets of information in, and a lovely picture? or mural? You tell me lol....

I quite liked this
Saw a kestrel either mobbing another bird, or more likely being mobbed, and a mistle thrush I think?

This one let me get quite close
The scenery was amazing, Spring is truely in the air and the weather was gorgeous. Although I wouldn't go as far as some people were, climbing the hill in sandals and dresses; I still had a spare pair of trousers and my waterproof jacket in my bag, as I was there two weeks ago when the hail came out of nowhere!

Spring has sprung
Finally got to Jacob's Ladder. At my pace, which I can tell you is slower than a snail's, this took three hours.

Bridge and stream at the bottom of Jacob's Ladder
Jacob's Ladder
After another rest, I mean after stopping to look at the scenery, I started to climb. Now after reading about this walk on 'tinternet, it certainly isn't for me. However, I decided to ignore that. Up I go!

Looking back down Jacob's Ladder
Walked quite far! As you can see it curls away to the right
Um, marker stones I think?
Wow, this is hard work! I never even made it to the top, let alone walk around Kinder Scout. However, walking back down was easy, and a consolation paddle in the stream at the bottom was well worth it.

Right then, back to Edale! Eight hours of walking sure takes it out of you! Well actually it was more like four hours of walking, and four hours of rest lol. Walking back through Upper Booth farm.

Aww I'm a sucker for baby animals

Chickens running round the farm yard

Stop for an ice cream at the farm shop. Well I think I deserve it! And back in time for the train to Sheffield.

Choo-choo
Lovely enjoyable day. And suntanned to boot! Well I'll be doing that again sometime soon :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment