Thursday 3 April 2014

If you go down to the woods today...


No, there was no teddy bears' picnic. But I have got a new camera, so I had a little play with it in Listerdale Woods today.

Of course Sybil came too
We stopped by the pond; well it's more of a flooded marshy area really, but frogs have spawned in it and ducks often visit it. I call it the Bachelor Pond as I've only ever seen drake mallards on it.

Bachelor Boys
The frogspawn has hatched and there were a few young tadpoles lurking around the edge of the pond. I hope it doesn't dry up too much for them in the summer months.

Then we passed the field boundary where I saw this wonderful treecreeper:



Whilst I was busy taking his picture, I heard a tawny owl hooting in the distance. I've seen one in these woods before, but never heard one so that was a great first for me.

The stream banks were thick with what I think is a celandine, but not entirely sure:



Here's another of Sybil, because she's pretty:

Waiting for me
On our way back from the Wickersley end, I stopped to take several photos of trees coming into leaf. The goat willow trees were heavy with their distinctive catkins:


 Some more spring trees:




And one area of the woods is covered in daffodils at the moment. The bluebells are not in flower yet, but I feel it won't be long.



Bye for now :o) and thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment