Sunday 23 March 2014

An important issue


I've been to Silverwood again today. I haven't any pictures as my camera isn't working, so here's one from the summer to remind us what a great area it is:


I wanted to put this blog post to good use, so I've chosen to highlight an issue that I feel is really important. On my way round today I filled two carrier bags to the top with rubbish. Mainly lager cans, but also plastic bottles, chocolate wrappers, bits of plastic and other odd things.

I understand that the warmer weather is on its way and people enjoy sitting in the countryside and having a picnic or a drink. That is absolutely fine. It's great that people can appreciate the outdoors. The issue lies with the litter they leave behind. Not only is it unsightly but it can cause serious harm, or even death, to our wildlife.

For a short assignment about a marine conservation issue on a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course, check them out most of them are free) I've been studying, I chose to focus on sea turtles and the dangers of plastics in their habitat. For a lot of us where litter is concerned, it's a case of out of sight out of mind. But it isn't that simple. Litter, especially the plastic four-pack rings that cans come in, can hurt wildlife in the immediate environment if they get caught in it or eat it. But it can also end up in streams and rivers, which ultimately transport the litter to our beaches and oceans. Creatures that are already endangered, such as sea turtles, whales and seabirds, end up eating it or becoming tangled in it.

Fair enough the litter has to go somewhere eventually, even if you take it home and put it in a bin. But better it is recycled or goes to a landfill site where it can be properly managed, than just tossed to one side in a nature area like Silverwood or even in the street.

I don't want this to be a lecture. Even if it only opens one person's eyes to the dangers of throwing a plastic bag or bottle to one side, then that is great. We share this planet with so many other fantastic creatures and it is only fair that we respect them and the habitats they live in.

On a brighter note, the swan pair are back on Silverwood lake. Hopefully they will have another successful breeding season; last year they raised four cygnets. The skylarks are in full song now and its wonderful to hear them all over the site. The chiffchaffs are back, and there was a pair of buzzards looking for lunch over the reserve while I was there.

Hopefully soon I will have another camera and be able to take some decent photographs with it. But for now I leave you with one of my favourite pictures of Sybil, looking rather cheeky.


1 comment:

  1. Here's an eye-opening easy-to-read article on marine pollution: http://plasticpollutioncoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Wabnitz+Nichols_2011_MTN129-PlasticsEditorial.pdf

    ReplyDelete