Monday 4 July 2011

Edale again

Went into Edale again yesterday, at another attempt to climb Jacob's Ladder. The weather was terrible, it was at least 22 degrees celcius in the valleys, too hot for me as I much prefer cool weather and even some rain. After all, when you spend money on waterproof clothing it's nice to be able to put it to the test :-). I walked up through the village, took a couple of photographs of the church then headed down to Upper Booth Farm, as usual.

Edale

Public Footpath

Edale Church
As you can see, not a cloud in the sky. Up the path towards Lee Farm and past a beautiful wildflower meadow which was just alive with the sounds of grasshoppers and bees.

Wildflowers

Butterfly at Lee Farm
The barns at Lee Farm were surrounded with swallows flying in and out, possibly feeding young in the nest. I sat down for ten minutes just watching their acrobatics. Although I prefer the cooler and wetter months of spring and autumn, even I could sit and tolerate the heat to enjoy the antics of the local wildlife.

Didn't quite make it all the way up Jacob's Ladder and I can't honestly say it's gotten any easier since last time I tried. However, after replenishing my energy reserves with sandwiches and chocolate, I went down to the stream at the bottom to paddle and read my book whilst listening to the sound of the water.

   
The stream, which I believe is called the River Noe?
When I come camping here, which will be soon I hope!, I plan to do this again, use my bag as a pillow and lay down next to the stream to read. Who needs foreign sands and shores when the UK offers places like this?

Back again into Edale, stopping at the cafe at Upper Booth Farm where they sell cakes and drinks. A pint of orange juice and a piece of chocolate flapjack went down well, the chickens enjoyed the crumbs.

Free range and hungry for crumbs
There's no wonder why rural life is considered the good life. Sitting here, outside sipping a glass of juice with chickens pecking around your feet and clucking gently, should be enough for anyone to consider getting away from the stresses of town living. If only it were that easy.

Next Sunday, I'm planning to go to the White Peak to revisit Lathkill Dale. Many thanks to the gentleman on Wild About Britain who gave me advice on the buses that run here from Sheffield.

No comments:

Post a Comment