Saturday 28 May 2011

Lincolnshire Ramblings

Not strictly Yorkshire, but this month I went on holiday to Skegness. I decided to stray away from the usual tourist attractions of amusements and the seafront, and went for a little wander instead. I found this walk on the internet, which was very helpful as it described how to get there and how long it might take. The walk is called The Vine, and is popular with local dog walkers and fortunately not popular with tourists as it's a lovely tranquil walk.
The route taken
The start of the walk
Part of the path
There were lots of birds singing: Great Tit, Blue and Long-Tailed Tit, and the song of the Blackbird that automatically makes you (well, me anyway!) break out into a smile.

Singing Blackbird
Here are some more pictures of the walk. It's a great walk, really simple, no mud, perfect for strolling down with your dog. Like I said it's full of birds; I also saw a squirrel on the path, but unfortunately couldn't get a photo as he was a fast little blighter.

Decorative and practical

Benches a-plenty for a sit-down

Striking colour
When I came out onto Drummond Road, I then decided to take a walk back into the centre of Skegness across the beach. I came out into the sand dunes, and I have to say these are one of my favourite habitats.

Sea Buckthorn

Wind turbines

View to the sea
The dunes were full of little birds (I hadn't thought to bring my binoculars) however I was planning to go to Gibraltar Point the next day which takes a walk across these very dunes. There were also, along with the usual gulls, waders on the beach. I'm not sure if the majority of these were Dunlin (I admit to being rubbish at identifying waders; they all look the same to me). These little ones flew across the sea when disturbed with broad white wing stripes and quite stiff wings. I managed to get a poor photo of this one, which the kind people on Wild About Britain identified as being a Sanderling:

Sanderling
Very muddy beach
Starfish
All Starfish were put back in the sea after handling :-) I like to think I was saving their lives (from dessication and the nasty gulls). All in all, a pleasant walk. I'll upload the photos from Gibraltar Point as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment